Morrin Law Office
Bicycle Accident Attorney in Lexington, Kentucky
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in Lexington, KY, and liability for the accident falls to a negligent driver, you have the legal right to file a claim or lawsuit to recover compensation for your losses. Despite your injuries, you will need to prove the other party caused the accident. A bicycle accident lawyer in Lexington from the Morrin Law Office can review your legal options with you today for free.
How the Morrin Law Office Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help You
If your bicycle accident was due to a motor vehicle driver’s negligence, our Kentucky personal injury lawyers will seek economic and non-economic damages on your behalf. These include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and possible future lost income
- Lost income capacity
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Physical disfigurement or disability (temporary or permanent)
- Property damage (repair or replacement)
If you have been hit by a truck or car while riding your bicycle then you likely qualify for a free consultation. During your free consultation our bicycle accident attorney will listen to your story, ask questions, answer any questions you may have, and provide you with an opinion on what you should do next.
We Will Work to Prove the At-Fault Party’s Negligence
Before you can pursue your personal injury compensation, you must prove that the driver negligently caused or contributed to your bike accident in Lexington. This means you will need to show that the vehicle driver:
- Did not meet their duty of care by safely sharing the road with you
- Breached their responsibility by some action or inaction
- Caused or contributed to the accident in some way that directly led to your injuries
- Caused injuries that brought you financial damages that you should be compensated for
You can rest and focus on recovering while we work on building a solid case on your behalf. And remember, you won’t have to worry about missing the filing deadline. With us managing your entire case, you will have more time to focus on recovering from your accident.
We Will Obtain a Copy of Your Accident Report
Kentucky law states that if you were injured in a bicycle accident, the driver responsible for it must file a crash report. Once it has been processed, we can acquire a copy. The crash document provides critical information for your case, including:
- Time, date, and location of the accident
- Contact information on all involved parties
- The details of the collision and point of impact
- Any citations or traffic violations
- Any driver distraction or drug or alcohol involvement
Typically, the crash report also contains the investigating police officer’s notes, witness statements, and preliminary notes about injuries or complaints of pain.
We Will Acquire Your Medical Documents
Your medical history and records of examination, injuries, and treatments after the accident are vital to your case. These details will help us calculate the value of your damages. They provide us with:
- Your initial emergency treatment, follow-up exam, and any ongoing tests or treatment
- The estimated cost of long-term care if this is necessary
- The cost of any medications and assistive devices your injuries necessitate
Your medical documents also reveal the important links between your accident and your injuries. You need not worry if your injuries prevent you from assisting us in this step of the procedure. We will prepare medical release authorizations for your signature so we are able to collect your medical records and maintain your files for you.
Why Trust the Morrin Law Office?
Our law office handles injury claims almost exclusively with only rare exceptions. This means we are constantly on the cutting edge of personal injury law in Kentucky. A good analogy of this is if you have a serious hand injury you will usually see an orthopedic hand surgeon rather than neuropsychologist who usually treats head trauma injuries. We work in the field of personal injury every day and we produce results that are superior to other firms.. Our injury professionals will build a robust case for you by:
- Helping you avoid litigation
- Guiding you to the best medical care and best medical recovery
- Protecting you from falling for common insurance traps
- Proving that the third party is financially liable
- Negotiating the best financial settlement possible
- Providing strong legal coverage and sensitive support
- Acquiring and assessing your crash report
- Completing and filing claim forms promptly
Our Kentucky bicycle attorney will keep you updated on the progress of your case throughout every step of the procedure. If you decide to take your case to trial, we will be there to represent you, so you don’t have to worry about a thing. We are committed to always protecting your legal rights and best interests.
How to Pursue a Bicycle Accident Claim in Lexington, KY
If you are involved in a bicycle accident with a car or truck, here are the steps you should take:
- Gather information: If you can move at the scene, take pictures or videos of the accident with your smartphone. Make sure you get shots of the damages to your bicycle, your injuries, the other vehicle involved, and the location. Get the driver’s information, including their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and vehicle insurance number. If there are any witnesses at the scene, gather their information also. When the police arrive, make a note of the officers’ names, badge numbers, and police report numbers.
- Get a medical assessment: Even if you do not think your injuries are serious, you should go to the hospital straight away. You could have internal injuries, which may not show up until hours or even days after the accident, so you need a thorough examination as soon as possible. Delaying medical treatment can not only worsen your injuries but may also weaken your compensation claim. Take notes of your medical treatment and keep copies of all medical records. Follow through with all your doctor’s treatment recommendations, and remember to get follow up treatment if your symptoms do not get better within a couple days.
- Seek proper legal guidance: You can, if you wish, pursue legal action on your own. However, this is inadvisable because of the many mistakes that can easily be made along the way. You need a professional in your corner who knows the ins and outs of insurance laws in Kentucky. Getting “an attorney” is oftentimes not enough. It can make tens of thousands of dollars in the difference. We know from the experience of doing this every day.
- Filing a claim: Your lawyer may be able to resolve your personal injury claim outside the court by negotiating a settlement with the defendant’s insurance company or attorney. If you have suffered permanent impairments or the defendant is refusing to settle, a lawsuit may be the route to take. In Kentucky, you have two years from the date of your injury to either settle your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or go to court to file a personal injury lawsuit, per Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 304.39-230. This time restriction on your ability to file your lawsuit after your injury is known as the statute of limitations.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a family member has been injured in a collision, our bicycle accident lawyer in Kentucky will hold the liable party accountable and get you the settlement you deserve.
Our injury professionals can start fighting for your compensation today. Contact us at (859) 358-0300 for a free consultation.