Morrin Law Office
Bicycle Accident Attorney in Covington, Kentucky
Covington is a bustling city filled with motor vehicles, public transit, and bicycles. In January 2023, the Covington Board of Commissioners discussed strategies to making the city more bike-friendly.
“Covington would love to have an improved bicycle network,” said City Manager Ken Smith. “At the same time, the unflinching reality is that this is a 200-year-old city with narrow streets that cut through the heart of the neighborhoods and business districts…together we can overcome the many challenges related to geography, parking, and other issues.”
Plans for a more cycling-friendly highlight the dangers that bicyclists face every day. Unfortunately, the joy of cycling can often be overshadowed by the occurrence of bike accidents. Given the lack of protection in comparison to passenger vehicles, individuals involved in a bicycle accident can face severe injuries. This can lead to emotional stress and financial burden.
A skilled personal injury attorney can help by thoroughly investigating the surrounding circumstances to your case. This includes gathering evidence, consulting with insurance companies, and consulting with any expert witnesses if necessary. Working with a personal injury attorney is your best option for receiving the financial compensation you deserve.
How the Morrin Law Office Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Have you recently been injured in a bike accident in Covington, Kentucky? If so, you may be feeling overwhelmed by your injuries and compiling medical bills. The good news is that a personal injury attorney can help. In cases where the accident was caused by the at-fault party’s negligence, you may be able to seek financial recovery. To discuss your case and options for litigation, contact Morrin Law Firm at (859) 358-0300.
What Causes Bike Accidents?
According to the Kentucky Transportation Center, the following lists the main causes of bicycle accidents in Kentucky during 2020:
- Inattention – 93 collisions
- Fail to yield right of way – 45 collisions
- Disregarded traffic control – 10 collisions
- Distracted driving – 8 collisions
- Improper passing – 4 collisions
- Improper turning – 4 collisions
- Misjudged clearance – 7 collisions
Injuries and Damages
After a bicycle accident, you may be left with any of the following injuries:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Road rash
- Scrapes and lacerations
- Skull fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Tendon, muscle, or ligament injuries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Even if your injury is not listed above, or you do not feel any initial pain, it is always important to get checked out by a doctor following a bicycle accident. A successful personal injury claim requires all documentation of injuries and relative medical bills.
A bicycle accident can create a steep financial burden for the injured party. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may be left with expensive medical bills. However, if your injuries were caused by the negligence of the at-fault driver, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim to recover the accrued damages. Morrin Law Firm can assist in your recovery of the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Any past, current, or future medical bills;
- Lost income or future projected lost earnings;
- Physical disfigurement or disability;
- Emotional pain and suffering; or
- Property damage.
Contact a Covington personal injury attorney to determine the extent of your injuries and calculate the value of your damages.
Proving the At-Fault Party
Establishing fault is the first part to determining if you have a personal injury claim. Assigning liability to the at-fault party from your Covington bicycle accident includes proving the following:
- The driver owed you the reasonable duty of sharing the road between a motor vehicle and bicycle;
- The driver breached their responsibility by acting reckless or negligent;
- The reckless or negligent behavior by the driver caused the bicycle accident; and
- Your injuries and financial damages were a direct result of the bicycle accident.
Morrin Law Firm can assist in proving the at-fault party by collecting evidence on your behalf.
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident in Covington, Kentucky
There are certain steps you should take following a bicycle accident in Covington, Kentucky:
- Seek medical attention – Even if you don’t feel any initial pain, it is imperative that you receive medical help to assess any possible injuries.
- Take documentation of the scene – If it is safe to do so, take pictures and videos of the accident scene, your injuries, or any other details which may be useful for your personal injury claim.
- Gather evidence to prove your claim – Important evidence to obtain following a Covington bike accident includes the accident report and any medical records relating to your injury. Both the accident report and medical records help to provide the correlation between the accident and your injuries.
- Contact a personal injury attorney – A skilled attorney will review your case details and help determine if you have a potentially successful claim. They can assist you in dealing with the at-fault party, insurance company, and any other details pertaining to the case.
When you are prepared to take back your life and receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries, contact Morrin Law Firm. Our Covington attorneys are ready to fight by your side
File Within Kentucky’s Statute of Limitations
Each state has a specific time frame for when an injured person is eligible to file a personal injury claim. Under Statute Section 413.125, Kentucky law requires any personal injury claim involving a motor vehicle to be filed within two years of the date of the accident or the date of the last PIP payment.
Failure to file within the State’s limit could result in your case getting barred from the possibility of litigation. It is always in your best interest to file as soon as possible. Waiting could result in losing important documents or evidence for your claim. The personal injury attorneys at Morrin Law Firm are prepared to take on your case and fight for your compensation within the statute of limitations.
There are bicycle accidents that unfortunately result in the cyclist’s death. If you have lost a loved one to a bicycle accident in Covington, you may be eligible to file for wrongful death. The surviving family members can receive assistance in all the legal aspects by contacting Morrin Law Firm. We understand how difficult this time is, and we want to provide the utmost support and legal guidance. Although we cannot bring your loved one back, we hope a financial recovery can help you start building your future.
Bike Accidents in Covington, Kentucky
According to Devou Good Project’s interactive map, the city of Covington experienced 19 bicycle accidents resulting in injury during 2020. The following lists recent example cases of bicycle accidents in Covington, Kentucky:
- August 2022 – According to the Newport Police, Gloria San Miguel was killed while riding her bike along the 11th Street Bridge between Newport and Covington, Kentucky. Miguel was fatally struck by a motor vehicle while operating her bicycle. When police arrived at the scene, the at-fault driver had fled the scene. The investigation into the hit-and-run pointed law enforcement to Mark Phipps, who turned himself in several days later. Phipps was charged with manslaughter, leaving the scene of an accident, and tampering with evidence.
- August 2020 – The Covington Police responded to a hit-and-run that was caught on camera along a one-way street. The victim was a man on his bicycle, who was found lying by a van in the street by a nearby witness. The unnamed victim suffered an injury to his leg. “It was pretty worrisome to see that someone would do something like that to someone and take off,” said Avis Harold, the bystander who helped the victim.
Contact Morrin Law Firm
Dealing with the fallout of a bicycle accident in Covington, Kentucky can require a lot of time and money. If you or a loved one have been injured due to a bike accident, it is in your best interest to consult with a personal injury attorney near you. An experienced Kentucky personal injury attorney can help guide you through the legal proceedings, consult with the insurance companies, and provide non-stop support while fighting to win the compensation you deserve.
Morrin Law Firm is prepared to resolve your personal injury claim and get you back on your feet after a bicycle accident. Call us today at (859) 358-0300 and receive a risk-free consultation regarding your case.