Morrin Law Office
Personal Injury & Accident Attorney in Lexington, KY
You don’t have to take the claims or lawsuit process on your own. We will work to hold the party who caused your accident or injury accountable and seek compensatory damages for you. The personal injury & accident lawyer in Lexington, Kentucky, from the Morrin Law Office is ready to review your situation and offer professional legal care. We can meet with you via Zoom, phone, or in person to discuss your legal options and how we can add value during your free consultation.
Recoverable Damages in a Lexington, KY, injury case
Depending on the type of accident you have been in and the injuries you have sustained, you may be able to file a claim or lawsuit for the following damages:
- Medical expenses: Personal injury compensation typically covers all aspects of medical treatment related to the injury, including diagnostic tests, medication, and other forms of treatment, surgery, and rehabilitation. It may also cover future expenses if the symptoms of your injuries are chronic.
- Lost income: If you cannot return to work straight away because of your injury, you are entitled to reimbursement for the wages you would have earned during that period. Furthermore, if your injury is serious and results in a permanent disability that will affect your future ability to earn, you may be entitled to compensation for that, too.
- Physical pain and suffering: Physical suffering varies from person to person. For this reason, certain factors must be in place that insurance companies, juries, and judges need to account for when determining the value of your pain and suffering. These are the type of injury or injuries you sustained, the medication you have been prescribed, the length of your recovery, and the permanence of your injury.
- Emotional suffering: You may be entitled to compensation for emotional distress in Kentucky. Sometimes referred to as mental anguish, emotional suffering can take the form of anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). You may be entitled to compensation for these conditions if you can prove how your accident directly caused them.
- Punitive damages: The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the party responsible for your injuries and hopefully deter them from similar conduct in the future. Typically, punitive damages are rare and awarded only in cases where the defendant’s actions were intentional or malicious.
We will review all the losses you have from your accident and assess each one so that you will know what your case is worth.
Your Lexington, KY, Personal Injury Case’s Deadline Is Coming
If you have been in a vehicle accident, the deadline is two years from the accident date, the victim’s death, or the last personal injury protection (PIP) payment, as outlined in Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 304.39-230.
Wrongful Death Actions Also Have a Deadline
If you are seeking a wrongful death action, please accept our condolences. We are truly sorry for your loss. We can help you seek a wrongful death action and explain how this process works. This includes identifying family members who are eligible for damages under the state’s statute. The statute of limitations is one year from the victim’s death or within one year from the appointment of an estate representative or administrator, per Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 413.180.
The Benefits of the Working with the Morrin Law Office in Kentucky
If you, or someone you love, has suffered a personal injury, you may be feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about what to do next. If another person was at fault for your accident, it is possible to seek compensation for your injuries. Although you can do this without an attorney, here are some reasons why you may want to consider seeking legal help from the injury professionals at the Morrin Law Office:
- We protect your rights: We have seen it time and time again with almost all of our clients who speak to the at-fault person’s insurance company before coming to us. The insurance companies routinely take advantage of injured Kentuckians who seem as though they may be going through this insurance injury claims process for the first time. One strategy is to offer $1,000 or $1,500 very quickly after an injury that their insured was clearly responsible for. The insurance company’s adjuster will act as if they are doing you a favor while they ask you to sign a final release for your injuries before you can even get to the proper medical professional to figure out the exact treatment you will need. We’ve heard it all. One company recently told a new client that they couldn’t resolve the property damage claim without him first signing a release for his property claim AND his bodily injury claim. Absurd and untrue. Insurance companies are very skilled and experienced at convincing folks to sign away their rights for pennies on the dollar of what they are owed under the laws of Kentucky.
- Advice you can count on: After an accident, most people worry about how they are going to pay their medical bills and other day-to-day expenses when their injuries are keeping them from going back to work. Our personal injury lawyer serving Lexington, KY, will file all the paperwork on your behalf so that you can focus on getting well and returning to your normal life.
- Saving you time: Filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit can be complicated and time-consuming, especially when you need time to focus on healing from your injuries. Because of their personal injury knowledge and experience, our injury lawyers will investigate your accident, identify all liable parties, gather supporting evidence, talk with witnesses who can back up your account of events, and talk with expert witnesses whose professional opinions can prove your position. We will also file your legal paperwork accurately and promptly, making sure that you submit all essential documents on time. We won’t miss any key deadlines.
- Negotiating on your behalf: When the other party’s insurance company has received your personal injury claim, they may try to bargain for a reduced compensation rate. Our lawyers have legal strategies for dealing with these types of negotiations so that we can work toward getting you a fair settlement.
- Litigation assistance: If the at-fault or liable party is not prepared to cooperate with the proceedings, our personal injury lawyer may recommend pursuing court action. During the trial, our lawyer will be by your side to represent your concerns so that you will not have to worry about how to present your case.
You can expect professional representation when you hire our personal injury lawyer & accident attorney in Lexington. The Morrin Law Office’s Kentucky personal injury professionals will negotiate with the insurance companies so that you won’t have to pay out of pocket for your medical bills, any permanent conditions are compensated, and future medical treatment is covered. You are entitled to reasonable compensation for your pain, suffering, and inconvenience under the laws of Kentucky. We look to the past few decades of jury verdicts to determine a fair payment for your pain and suffering.
Types of Personal Injuries and Accidents
At the Morrin Law Office, we have experience with the following types of personal injury claims:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Each year, millions of people are hurt in accidents involving cars, trucks, and commercial vehicles. If you have suffered an injury in a vehicle accident as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, you could be entitled to compensation for your personal damages, injuries, and financial losses.
- Bicycle accidents: If you have been involved in a collision with a vehicle while riding your bike, you have the legal right to seek compensation for any injuries and damages you incurred. You can do this by filing a personal injury claim with the evidence to prove that the other party was at fault.
- Dog bites: In Kentucky, dog owners are responsible for bites and other injuries victims incur from animal attacks. If you, a parent, or child has been bitten or otherwise injured by an aggressive dog, you can file a claim against the animal owner for compensation to cover your medical bills and possibly other damages.
- Intentional injuries: Unfortunately, sometimes, a personal injury is caused intentionally by someone else. For example, in the case of domestic abuse, sexual assault by a medical professional, gunshot wounds, sexual abuse, assault, and rape.
Common Injuries People Get from Serious Accidents
Whether you sustain a traumatic injury or a permanent disability from your accident, getting a personal injury due to another person’s negligence can have a devastating effect, not only on your health but also on your finances and the stability of your family.
Some of the injuries we deal with regularly at the Morrin Law Office include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Severe head injuries
- Blindness and eye injuries
- Loss of hearing
- Neck fractures
- Broken bones
- Separated shoulder
- Knee injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Electrical or chemical burns
- Soft tissue injuries
Even if you don’t notice any signs or symptoms at the time of your accident, you may have sustained a serious injury. Some injuries, particularly internal ones, may not be noticeable until several hours or even days after the accident. This is another reason why it’s vital to hire a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, so you don’t miss your opportunity to claim the compensation you deserve. It’s best to seek treatment as soon as possible after being injured.
Call the Morrin Law Office for a Free Consultation
You can reach out to the Kentucky personal injury attorneys at the Morrin Law Office today at (859) 358-0300 for a free consultation. There’s no need to worry about the cost of hiring a lawyer. Your initial consultation is free, so we can explain how we add value, what we think should be your next steps regardless of whether you hire our team or not, and during your free consultation you may ask us any questions you can think of. You don’t pay us for our services unless we win your case.